Thursday, May 23, 2013









Yesterday I went treasure hunting at the local Goodwill. I consider myself a professional in the sport, seeing as the bulk of my closet is thrifted. My purchases consisted of this lovely leather satchel, an unusual tin (which will hold craft supplies), and garments that will be sacrificed for their fabric.

I have grown quite fond of altering garments from Goodwill, even if it’s just making slight adjustments to already wonderful pieces. This love has led to a small collection of odd, thrifted garments that now live in my studio. Forgotten pieces that I have yet to alter or have lost the desire to wear have found themselves in a large box. The collection continues to grow and has inspired me to re-purpose my treasures.

Seamless and destroyed jackets, coats, and blazers create the selection of fabric for my current project. Satchels made of vintage garments. This is something I am very excited about. First of all, it’s sustainable. I’m not much of an environmentalist, but I love the idea of wasting little and consuming less. Using re-purposed fabric also allows me to use high quality fabric (a blazer I purchased yesterday is 100% silk) for a fraction of the price. Not to mention vintage fabrics tend to have killer unusual patterns... Weird fabric. Cheap fabric. Socially responsible fabric. Looks like a win, win folks.  

I’m hard at work on these bags; hopefully soon I will have something to show for it.