Wednesday, May 15, 2013

GOOD MORNING. Its a glorious day with glorious plans.

I mentioned the other day my plan to have a booth at the farmers' market. I'm afraid I'm going about this a bit backwards....The line of products I intend to sell do not currently exist. But I have faith that they will manifest fantastically. I am only one semester short of an apparel design degree, and am therefore highly trained in making crafts. 

My latest conclusion is that I aspire to be a self employed artist, though I have yet to narrow down my scope of work. It seems I have a new idea everyday; "I'll be a writer! A therapist! A painter. An illustrator. A poet! A yoga instructor. A designer. A chef?" etc. Really, its no wonder my parents don't take my fickle ambitions too seriously. Regardless, I'll just try and pursue as many of my dreams as I please. The "I'll sell whatever comes to mind at the farmers' market!" plan is at the forefront of my schedule.

Currently, I am working on a line of patchwork bags. 

MOOD

 Photos courtesy of style.com


The mood of the line channels a vibe I often get from Marc by Marc Jacobs. Funky sophistication. Classic silhouettes, twisted patterns. My personal style tends to gravitate towards what I refer to as librarian chic, with a lot of vintage and bohemian inspiration. There is a strong love for the unique and handmade. Think Nancy Drew and Sitting Bull's love child. I want the satchels to reflect that. 

DESIGN
 Photos courtesy of style.com


The designs are inspired by bold color blocking and patchwork. Featured above are Stella McCartney, Celine, and Fendi.Again, I appreciate the oddness that color blocking offers.


COLOR


These are the color palettes for the satchels. I wanted earth tones with bold accent colors; more or less in unusual combinations. I've been really drawn to lilac and lavender as of late...

The pattern of the first prototype is completed, now I just have to begin production- see what exactly is working and what isn't.
Virtually the entire morning has been spent in front of this here computer. Its a gorgeous day and I've yet to even put on real people clothes...Time to start the day!