Saturday, May 11, 2013






When it comes to food, everyone has an opinion. “Carbs are the enemy”, “raw food diets reverse aging”, “ humans are not meant to eat meat”. The list goes on and on and on. After reading what feels like hundreds of food theories and trying several diets myself, I’m coming to believe that perhaps a close friend of mine is the only one who has it right. She calls herself a “qualitarian”. Her diet? To eat quality food. Sweet & simple. How freeing.

 The past few months, I have been experimenting with a meat free diet as well as partial veganism. I lost weight and actually have experienced several health benefits. Alas, being both healthier and lighter turned into a burden. The label of “vegan” or “vegetarian” became hard for me to carry.
I am a college student; limited time and even less money. Eating a healthy diet, much less a vegan diet, can definitely be a challenge for those with limited resources. Rather than accepting my imperfections ( the inevitable late night cravings and  stressed out snacks),  overwhelming guilt crashed over me for each and every slip up. Talk about unnecessary stress.  

Those moments have led me to reconsider the way I eat….Less rules, more freedom. I am learning what works for my body and lifestyle. I’m striving to eat for my health, both physically and emotionally.
Long story short, today I made coconut maple granola! I am still experimenting with the recipe, but it is not too shabby my friends. After it baked, I packaged it in these cute little jars—considering adding this healthy whole grain snack to my farmer’s market booth!